One of the highlights of anyone’s childhood (and let’s face it, our adulthood too) is a family trip to a Disney resort. The sparkling eyes of kids and the warm smiles on parents’ faces are a testament to the magic that Disney creates. But when you are a family of five, picking the perfect resort that suits everyone’s needs and whims can be challenging. Fear not, because we have your back. Here are our top 7 best Disney resorts for a family of 5 that will provide everyone with the time of their lives!
- Best Disney Resort For Family of 5
- 1. Disney's Art of Animation Resort
- 2. Disney's Beach Club Resort
- 3. Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
- 4. Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
- 5. Disney's Contemporary Resort
- 6. Disney's BoardWalk Villas
- 7. Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas
- Frequently Asked Questions About Disney Resorts For Large Families
- 1. What Should We Consider When Choosing a Disney Resort for Our Family of Five?
- 2. Do These Resorts Offer Enough Space for a Family of Five?
- 3. What Types of Dining Options Are Available at These Resorts?
- 4. Are There Child-Friendly Activities Available at These Resorts?
- 5. How Convenient is Transportation to the Parks From These Resorts?
Best Disney Resort For Family of 5
Although there are numerous Disney resorts and destination around the world, there are a handful of resorts that provide a better experience for the entire family compared to others. This means the following resorts will provide a great experience for adults, teenagers, toddlers, babies, and everyone in between!
1. Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
Disney’s Art of Animation Resort is a paradise for families, especially those with younger children. With themed rooms that plunge you straight into a Disney movie, your little ones will be thrilled to find themselves in the world of Cars, The Lion King, or Finding Nemo.
The resort provides spacious family suites that can comfortably accommodate a family of 5. These suites come equipped with a kitchenette and three separate sleeping areas. The animation-themed playground and the largest resort pool in Walt Disney World Resort will keep your little ones entertained when you aren’t park hopping.
But what sets this resort apart from the others? It’s the chance to live in and experience your favorite Disney and Pixar movies. Now, which child (or adult) wouldn’t love that?
- Amenities Include: Three themed pools, playground, arcade, food court, pool bar, shopping, and free Wi-Fi.
- Fun Activities: Sketching classes, movie nights, playground, themed pools, and arcades.
- Proximity to Disney: A short complimentary bus ride to all the Disney parks and an enjoyable walk to the Disney Skyliner.
- Why This Resort is Great for a Family of Five: Spacious family suites, separate sleeping areas, kitchenette in suites, themed rooms, and plenty of entertainment for the children.
2. Disney’s Beach Club Resort
The Disney’s Beach Club Resort combines the charm of a 19th-century New England beach house with stellar amenities. A stone’s throw away from EPCOT and a short boat ride to Hollywood Studios, the Beach Club Resort scores high on accessibility.
The rooms are tastefully done, airy, and can comfortably accommodate a family of 5. The main attraction, however, is Stormalong Bay, a 3-acre mini water park. Complete with a sandy-bottom pool, lazy river, and a life-size shipwreck with slides, Stormalong Bay promises loads of fun for the entire family.
The unique New England theming coupled with its water park and its location make Beach Club Resort a favorite among families.
- Amenities Include: Stormalong Bay, 24-hour fitness center, arcade, marina/boat rental, tennis, volleyball, jogging trail, and a standard pool.
- Fun Activities: Water sports at the marina, tennis, volleyball, jogging trail, fishing, movies under the stars, campfire activities, and motorized boat rentals.
- Proximity to Disney: Walking distance to EPCOT, boat ride to Hollywood Studios, and complimentary bus service to other parks.
- Why This Resort is Great for a Family of Five: Spacious rooms, a mini water park, lots of activities for the kids, easy access to parks, and exquisite dining options.
3. Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge offers a unique experience as it allows you to immerse yourself in the splendor of an African savanna. With over 30 species of African wildlife, including zebras, giraffes, gazelles, kudu, and flamingos roaming free in natural environments, the resort is an animal lover’s paradise.
The family suites comfortably fit a family of five and offer a view of the savanna. Traditional African architecture, handcrafted furnishings, and genuine African artworks add to the exotic experience. The Uzima and Samawati Springs pool areas, with a fun water playground and exciting water slides, provide ample entertainment for the kids. Animal Kingdom Lodge has been known to go all out for special occassions like holidays which is why it is often talked about as one of the best resorts for Thanksgiving.
The real draw, however, is the chance to see wild animals up close, making the Animal Kingdom Lodge a great choice for families that love animals and nature.
- Amenities Include: Two themed pools, pool bar, playground, arcade, free Wi-Fi, and an animal observation site.
- Fun Activities: Wildlife spotting, campfire activities, movies under the stars, and interactive animal programs.
- Proximity to Disney: Complimentary bus ride to all the Disney parks.
- Why This Resort is Great for a Family of Five: Spacious family suites, animal viewing opportunities, fun pool areas with water playground, and a range of dining options.
4. Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort is a tropical paradise in the heart of Disney. This South Pacific-themed resort offers spacious rooms that comfortably sleep a family of 5, and some even offer a stunning view of Cinderella’s Castle across the Seven Seas Lagoon.
The Lava Pool, with its towering volcano, waterfall, and thrilling water slide, is a hit among the kids, while adults will love the hot tub and the quieter Oasis Pool. The resort is also home to ‘Ohana, a popular restaurant where characters host a breakfast, a real treat for the little ones.
One of the main attractions of the Polynesian Village Resort is its unique South Pacific theming and the opportunity to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the beach.
- Amenities Include: Two swimming pools, hot tub, kids’ water play area, motorized boat rentals, jogging trail, campfire activities, movies under the stars, and more.
- Fun Activities: Water sports, fishing, volleyball, jogging trail, campfire activities, and motorized boat rentals.
- Proximity to Disney: A monorail ride to the Magic Kingdom park and a short complimentary bus ride to other parks.
- Why This Resort is Great for a Family of Five: Spacious rooms, fun pool area, character dining, and easy access to the Magic Kingdom.
5. Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Disney’s Contemporary Resort is a modern marvel and a testament to innovative Disney design. As one of the two resorts linked by the monorail, the Contemporary is just a few minutes from the Magic Kingdom. The resort offers spacious rooms and suites with a modern and sleek design that can easily accommodate a family of five.
The resort features two pools, the Bay Lake Beach, and plenty of recreational options. The real standout is the California Grill, a fine dining restaurant with a stunning view of the Magic Kingdom and its nighttime fireworks.
The Contemporary Resort stands out for its modern aesthetics, its unique dining experiences, and its unbeatable location.
- Amenities Include: Two pools, water play area, beach, cabana rentals, motorized boat rentals, fishing, volleyball, jogging trail, and more.
- Fun Activities: Water sports, fishing, volleyball, movies under the stars, and motorized boat rentals.
- Proximity to Disney: A short walk or monorail ride to the Magic Kingdom and a complimentary bus ride to other parks.
- Why This Resort is Great for a Family of Five: Spacious rooms, numerous recreational activities, unique dining options, and a fantastic location.
6. Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
Disney’s BoardWalk Villas provides a nostalgic trip back to turn-of-the-century Atlantic City. The waterfront resort is lined with a bustling boardwalk where families can enjoy an array of dining, shopping, and entertainment options.
The Villas are designed with families in mind. The one and two-bedroom villas can accommodate a family of five comfortably, offering a fully equipped kitchen, washer, and dryer. The Luna Park Pool, complete with a 200-foot-long waterslide, is a major draw for families.
The unique charm of Disney’s BoardWalk Villas and their convenient location make it a fabulous choice for families of five.
- Amenities Include: Three pools, playground, arcade, fitness center, tennis courts, and free Wi-Fi.
- Fun Activities: Pools, community hall with board games and crafts, fishing, tennis, jogging trails, and campfire activities.
- Proximity to Disney: Walking distance to Epcot, a short boat ride to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and bus transportation to other parks.
- Why This Resort is Great for a Family of Five: Spacious villas with home-like amenities, recreational activities, and a lively boardwalk with dining and entertainment.
7. Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas brings the spirit of Africa to Florida. The resort offers families the unique opportunity to watch over 30 species of wildlife roam free in the resort’s savannahs.
Families can choose from spacious studios or one, two, or three-bedroom villas that can accommodate five or more people. Uwanja Camp, an animal observation site-themed water playground, is perfect for children, while parents can relax in the Samawati Springs Pool. Dining options include African-inspired cuisine and familiar favorites.
With its unique wildlife experiences and family-friendly amenities, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas is truly a one-of-a-kind resort.
- Amenities Include: Two pools, children’s water play area, whirlpool spa, fitness center, animal viewing areas, and free Wi-Fi.
- Fun Activities: Animal viewing, pools, playground, jogging trails, campfire activities, and movies under the stars.
- Proximity to Disney: Bus transportation to all parks, but closest to Animal Kingdom.
- Why This Resort is Great for a Family of Five: Spacious villas, unique wildlife experiences, recreational activities, and African-inspired atmosphere.
Frequently Asked Questions About Disney Resorts For Large Families
Below are a few of the most commonly asked questions we have received from our readers about booking a Disney resort for a family of 5 or other large family sizes. If you still have some more questions then please reach out to our team and we will include your question in the section below.
1. What Should We Consider When Choosing a Disney Resort for Our Family of Five?
Choosing the right resort for your family of five can depend on a variety of factors. Consider the room or villa size and configuration, the availability of child-friendly amenities and activities, dining options, and proximity to the parks you’ll be visiting most. It’s also worth considering the resort’s theme and atmosphere – each Disney resort offers a unique experience, so choose one that your family will enjoy.
2. Do These Resorts Offer Enough Space for a Family of Five?
Yes, the resorts listed all provide accommodations suitable for a family of five. The one-bedroom, two-bedroom, or family suites have separate bedrooms and living spaces, and often include a fully equipped kitchen or kitchenette, which provides plenty of room for everyone.
3. What Types of Dining Options Are Available at These Resorts?
Each of the listed resorts offers a variety of dining options, from quick-service cafeterias and poolside bars to signature dining experiences. Some resorts also offer character dining experiences, where your children can meet their favorite Disney characters during mealtime.
4. Are There Child-Friendly Activities Available at These Resorts?
Absolutely! Each resort has a range of child-friendly activities. These can include swimming pools with waterslides, play areas, arcades, movie nights, and even animal viewing areas. Some resorts also have designated kids’ clubs that offer supervised activities.
5. How Convenient is Transportation to the Parks From These Resorts?
All of these resorts offer transportation to the various Disney parks. Some are even within walking distance of certain parks, or offer the unique feature of monorail access. However, depending on the specific resort and the park you’re visiting, transport can range from a short walk, a boat ride, a monorail journey, or a bus trip. Florida is known to be a popular vacation destination and they have developed an great system of transportation no matter which park you are trying to visit.